Oct 14, 2012

Neelkanth Peak, Badrinath


Last time about 7 years ago, when I had been to Badrinath temple town, I was mystified with the temple, himalayas and the deity and the tales, internet was still in its infancy then and I had completely missed getting information about this peak.

This post by Arti of MYD last year made me sit and take notice of what I had missed
http://myyatradiary.com/2011/07/neelkanth-peak-in-badrinath.html

Instantly, I had decided that I would not miss it on my next sojourn to Badinath and I didn't when I went there again this year :)

Neelkant or Neelakanta or Nilkanth or Neelkanth peak is a major peak in the Garhwal Himalayas and towers to a height of 3474m (11398 ft) above the holy town of Badrinath. What's amazing here is that the peak is the first one to get the rays of the rising sun on it and thereafter slowly it expands across the horizon. In those few moments, the peak is covered with golden light and is a treat not to be missed.

I was running and up there by 5:05am but alas, I was still late by probably 15-20 minutes; still I got to see a glimpse of it before the entire horizon was covered in sunlight.

I will speak no further and let you see it through the pictures... enjoy :)





 
If you ever go there, don't miss it...!

10 comments:

  1. Great clicks.

    http://rajniranjandas.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing pictures Santosh. The Uttarakhand state is a truly heaven. When I had been there, it was cloudy and was not able to see this peak. U were indeed very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, finally! You did bring the peek here in its full glory for all of us to see. This is purely magical, both the peek and the coverage. Glad my post could inspire a photographer like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you Sum, Niranjan, Arjun, Arti.

    Arjun - the weather is always a tricky issue there, I was lucky probably because we were there before the proper rains, you'll get your chance next time.

    Arti - I'm no good photographer, and thanks to you for the inspirational post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I came across your blog while reading about some Indian destinations and found your blog informative.

    I am a travel blogger, associated with cheapoair.com. I write blogs www.businesstravelconnection.com and www.funfoodandtravel.com . I read your blogs and must admit you have an impressive blog.

    Being a blogger it would be a pleasure to write a guest blog for you. The post would be related to the contents of your blog. So, contact me ashwin-at-cheapoair.com , if you are interested.

    Waiting for your reply.

    Regards,

    Ashwin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. When did you go there? I will have to visit it sometime next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you abhijit and sabyasachi :)
    Sabyasachi - I went there in May'12

    ReplyDelete

Good to have you on my blog...your feedback is valued :)