Feb 25, 2011

Ganeshgudi birding trip II

Ganeshgudi Birding II


How to reach – This time we tried out the rail network to reach Ganeshgudi.
From Bangalore to Londa junction (reaches around 6am), trains ply regularly. From Londa either wait for the direct bus service to Ganeshgudi or travel to Ramanagara (10rs on a shared auto) and from there to Ganeshgudi (more bus facilities available).

We did the return journey also in the same fashion reaching Londa and then hopping on a train to Bangalore.


Overall a good option but slightly uncomfortable if you have heavy backpacks and if you want to travel around Ganeshgudi. Well, all transport options do have their pros and cons right? J

The winter had set in, the rains had stopped and the weather was good but 1 thing that plagued us was light… as the sun would come out only past 6:30am and the Old magazine camp having a thick cover of green, it was all the more challenging for photography.


I’m still hunting for the elusive Malabar Whistling thrush that entertains me with its song everytime but never dares to come out in the open! The Great Indian Hornbills are still a distant dream and I’m waiting for my opportunity to sight those endangered birds. The Emerald dove and the Malabar Trogan finally gave up their resistance and presented themselves in front of me their glorious colors and literally put me on a wild hunt to spot them. (It so happened that the Emerald dove eluded me whenever I chased it, but surprised me when I was patiently and silently was waiting for it but preoccupied in other work…!)

Except for the dim light, I had gala of a time birding in and around the JLR Old magazine house campus for 2 days with the help of Joma uncle and Vinay. I should appreciate the staff of JLR camp who help us in all matters and are expert birders, Joma uncle has years of experience and Vinay has got sharp ears and wonderful eyesight. Kudos to the JLR staff and hope they remain the same.


At Ganeshgudi, 6am sharp, I’m up, pick up my camera, come out and seat myself in one of the chairs and the next 15 minutes, sit, acclimatize and listen, listen listen… At this time, the light is very poor and not suitable for photography and I don’t intend to shoot also at this early time. Just sit back and enjoy the early morning songs of the birds around especially the long tunes of the Malabar Whistling thrush. The next 1 hour passes by with the light conditions improving and with my buddies up by this time, we walk around observing the birds going about their daily chores. In this camp water pots are kept at strategic locations that attract a lot of bird that come to drink, bathe and play in the water. It’s a visual treat to watch multiples of them sharing the same tub and also waiting for their turns to the tub. I have had the opportunity to click many birds in and around these tubs be it summer, winter or rainy seasons.


We enjoyed the couple of days with a session of rafting and birding for the rest of the time. The Great Hornbills did not show up as expected and the Malabar Whistling thrush was as elusive and reluctant to come out for us.

We will be back here sometime and hope to catch them all soon :)


Our sightings:
Brown cheeked Fulvetta
Asian brown flycatcher
White bellied blue flycatcher
Blue napped monarch flycatcher
Asian paradise flycatcher
Verditter flycatcher
Red whishkered Bulbul
Ruby throated Bulbul
Yellow browed Bulbul
Jungle Babble
Dark fronted Babbler
Scimitair Babbler


Malabar Whistling thrush
Malabar Trogan
Malabar Pied Hornbill
Indian Grey Hornbill
Emerald Dove
Blue capped Rock thrush
Orange headed thrush
Oriental white eye
Jungle Mynah
Shikra
Purple rumped sunbird
Crimson backed sunbird
Orange Minivet
Eurasian Golden Oriole
Malabar Parakeet
Blue tailed Parakeet
Vernal hanging Parrot
White cheeked Barbet
Coppersmith Barbet
Rosy starling
Heart spotted Woodpecker
Lesser backed Golden Woodpecker
Scaly breaster Munia


7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful trip... especially rafting.
    Thanks to Santosh Raja and Guru

    Nice pics Santosh...keep going :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Santosh, your trogon shot has me inconsolably envious! Great sighting.
    Couple of things - I think that's a Scarlet Minivet and that the sunbird is a Small Sunbird (also known as Crimson-backed Sunbird)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks G...

    Arun,
    If i'm not wrong Orange Minivets were previously called Scarlett Minivets...!
    and yes I too was in a dilemna in identifying that sunbird species, thanks for the same.

    and Trogan sighting, well after a long wait and persistent efforts, finally got to see it :)
    you will have your turn someday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont know how I missed this post! Awesome. The malabar Trogon particularly is spectacular, i felt I could almost touch it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good. I've read nearly all of your posts and it's fantastic to know someone whose passion has not waned all these years. Some of your posts are definitely pointers for my own trips.

    ReplyDelete

Good to have you on my blog...your feedback is valued :)